You’re making a difference in the lives of South Texans by donating blood. From cancer patients to new mothers to accident victims, the need for blood donations is constant for public health.
But did you know that you also can help your own health by donating blood?
Here are some common benefits:
- The mini physical that measures your temperature, pulse, blood pressure and hemoglobin levels can reveal underlying health conditions, including anemia, a lack of iron in the bloodstream.
- Your blood donation is tested by QualTex Laboratories for multiple conditions, some of which may be causing no symptoms, including AIDS, Hepatitis B and C, and the Zika and West Nile viruses. If you have a positive test, you will be notified as soon as possible.
- A blood donation spurs your body to create new, healthy blood cells to replace the ones going to patients – up to 2 million red cells a second.
- For men, donating blood can help your heart health. It can reduce the risk for a heart attack by 88%, according to a study in the American Journal of Epidemiology.
- Doing good for others can help you live longer. A study in Health Psychology found people who volunteered to do things for altruistic reasons had a significantly reduced risk of death.
Your blood donation can save up to three lives. Schedule today at SouthTexasBlood.org.